
Warning: Contains Spoilers
I went to see this movie with Sissel and Martha the Saturday that it came out (I just haven't had time to publish my review until now). Sissel and Martha had read the book and I had not, so they were nervous about whether or not the movie would be true to the book. I was able to just enjoy the movie for its own value. I'm not much of a novel reader... I read so slowly that I feel like I need to be ever so careful in my choice of books and I often feel like my time is best spent reading self-help or doctrine or inspirational books. The only novels I've ever read for enjoyment are the Harry Potter books, which I was totally addicted to and eagerly anticipate the remaining movies. But, as soon as I got home that Saturday night from seeing Twilight, I began reading the book. I haven't gotten very far--November and December are busy months... but I am enjoying the read and can definitely see the obsession with the series.
So, my review... I will admit that it has a slow start. And here's my theory on that: We all already know this story is about a girl and a vampire. However, a LOT of time is spent on building up the mystery and anticipation of who & what Edward is. Although I see the importance in building up the characters and suspense, I wonder if it was necessary to drag on the "mystery" of Edward for quit so long. I wonder if the book would have been able to hold my husband's interest if she had moved on to the real story sooner. Because once the plot thickens, I am on the edge of my seat the entire time!!! It was GREAT!
The movie had decent special effects... I loved the baseball scene and the car accident scene is pretty good. Edward's glittery skin could maybe have been done a little better given the technology that exists in the movie industry, but it was still pretty cool.
According to my movie buddies, the casting was well done. There were occasional giggles and sighs of acknowledgement as new characters emerged in the film--they were pleased with the casting overall. I was tickled to see "Cedric Diggory" play the heroic Edward the vampire.
I think the film is appropriate for most youth. There is no bad language that I can remember. There is implied violence, although they do not show it. There is no sex, although I will admit the kissing scene was pretty intense.
I think what draws women to this love story is the fact that Edward is not just attracted to Bella, he also finds her to be the most tempting human he's ever met... see, Edward and his "family" are "vegetarian" vampires (they're the good guys)--they do not feed on human blood (imagine the shark's anonymous club in Finding Nemo... "fish are friends, not food"). But, Bella has the most enticing smell of any human Edward has met (Martha had to explain this to me at the beginning because Edward's reaction to Bella is so bizarre and I didn't get it at first). So, in order to be with Bella, Edward has to overcome himself--the ultimate sacrifice for love. Gag, I know, but it does pull you in.
So, overall, I really did enjoy the movie and am now enjoying the book. I'd like to watch the movie again. Not sure if I will purchase it or not, but definitely want to see it at least once more.
Feel free to post your thoughts on the series in the comments!


Friday, December 5, 2008
Movie Review: Twilight
Posted by Elaine at 7:45 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I loved the movie. I had read the books, and was excited. I was a little disappointed in the people they picked as characters. When I read the books, I expected the vampire family to be GORGEOUS. Edward was supposed to be drop dead, but I did not feel that way towards him. His hair drove me CRAZY and so did his teeth. Too many close ups of his face made me realize he needed a good orthodontist. I look forward to the next one.
Post a Comment