Thursday, February 28, 2008

Glad to be a home-body...

Kind-of a random thought here...

I missed the Worldwide Leadership Training Broadcast for all adults in the church because I participated in a youth trip to go snow-tubing. We were supposed to go the prior weekend, but we postponed our trip because of President Hinckley's funeral. So, I've been watching the posted Broadcast in chunks online a little bit each day and taking notes of what I missed a few weekends ago.

The final message was from our new prophet, President Monson. He said, "The Home is the basis of a righteous life." He went on to talk about how the world is filled with chaos and when our families are united in love and service, we have a refuge from that chaotic world. Our homes should be a place where those who live there want to return--it should be their sanctuary. He went on to share how three things can ensure our homes are a haven of happiness: 1. Have Family Prayer; 2. Your home should be a Library of Learning; 3. And there should be a Legacy of Love.

But the thing that stuck out in my mind the most was how he described the way we look back on our childhoods and how we delight in the experiences we shared with our families, not in the size of the house or the status of the neighborhood. He talked about how some people get bored with their home life and seek excitement elsewhere, and that they can look and travel far, but it should always be the the home that they long to return to...

I'm a home-body. I have been for many years now. I used to be a busy-body, but more and more, as the years go by, the place I most often want to be is at home. I don't feel like my day is wasted if I don't leave the house. I don't feel like it is a waste to get ready for the day only to stay home with my kids. My favorite thing to do on a Friday night is curl up on the couch with my husband and kids and watch a movie together. I love Monday nights where we've made family time sacred and we ignore the phone ringing and we play games, teach one another, bare testimony, and just hang out together. When given the choice to go out or stay in, I always prefer to stay in. Well... maybe I want to go out for dinner, but I want to come straight home after. =)

I used to wonder if this meant I am lazy. I only know a handful of other people who seem to feel this same way, that they'd prefer to be at home with their families than anywhere else, so I thought I was weird or lazy. Sometimes I've made up excuses for not being more social and I've even said to people I must be getting lazier as I grow older because I'm perfectly happy just staying at home.

I've changed my mind. I'm not lazy at all. Weird... well, maybe... but not lazy. (In fact, I work pretty dang hard at home!) I haven't missed the boat at all. In fact, now I think maybe I've done something right after all...
Now, if I can just convince my 9-going-on-16-year-old that being with mom and dad is way cooler than hanging out with her friends, I'll be all set! ;-)

I do delight in the experiences I am having with my family and I am not at all ashamed to be working toward a home of love, peace and happiness.

So, I'm not lazy. I'm glad to be a home-body!

3 comments:

lindygirl said...

I agree!!!!
As the years pass I realize that my place is home, where I can be with the ones that matter the most to me. I am happiest when we are home together.

Ashley and Cody said...

Thanks for sharing this. I feel the exact same way as you. I used to be a busy body too, but now home is where I love to be the most.

Em said...

Yep, I'm on the same page. Especially having a young baby when it's cold outside I just think, "you know what? I want to enjoy this little guy, not hide him inside a car seat under a ton of blankets while we go somewhere." You're doing the very very best things right inside your house. ;)

One of my cards has been featured on Etsy!