All I knew was that I was tired because the non-stop pounding rain and thunderstorm kept us awake from about 4 am through the late morning on Saturday. I just wanted to get some sleep, but the phone kept ringing... why wouldn't the answering machine pick up? One of the many phone calls was some friends who live across Southport Road from us--they were out of town, but had heard on the news that people in Indianapolis were having to travel by boat. What?? I looked out the window and told him the news was wrong. Our house is fine. Sure, some puddles were collecting, but the streets are still drivable and our house is not under water. That's crazy!
But, I soon found out that just a few miles away from us, people were having to leave their homes because the water was creeping in. Dan & Tricia were among them--no water actually got into their house, but their entire yard was flooded and the water was only a few feet from their house. They came and stayed with us until late in the evening when it finally appeared there would not be another storm as earlier predicted. Our church building was temporarily used as a Red Cross station to help those who had to leave their homes. Aaron left with food to help at the church. My poor mom was trying to get home from work (she lives in Bargersville) and so many streets were closed, it took her a couple hours to get home. She was getting scared--she was lost, hungry and running out of gas. My grandpa came out with his GPS and helped her get home.
Absolutely amazing what water can do.
Later I found out that areas outside of Indianapolis had been hit extremely hard. I'll post two photos below of US 31 in the Edinburg area.
The answering machine and our microwave just needed to be reset. But, the kids' computer got fried with one of the lightening strikes. Aaron was able to set up another computer for them from spare parts, but he has it running on Linux, so none of their games will work on it. But, at least they can play their online games. What spoiled kids we have. They take after their dad when it comes to computers. =)
The forecast is predicting more rain today and tomorrow...

Monday, June 9, 2008
Flash Flooding
Posted by Elaine at 10:01 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Holy Cow. The weather can be scarry. I'm glad everyone is okay. You are right, it is amazing how much water can affect you. We too are gettting a lot of rain, but for us, we will need it to rain 40 days and 40 nights before anything like that happens. Thanks for sharing. I love seeing pictures of beloved IN.
Hey Elaine!! Its me molly sampietro! Tell Vicky i said HI!! I see you are doing a new diet. Is it SB? I have had great success with SB. I am currently doing SB and I have lost 30 pounds. I Don't ever feel hungry and I go TOTALLY off once a week! Talk to you later.
Molly--
I looked for an email address to write to you directly, but couldn't find one on your profile or anything...
Anyway, hello! Good to hear from...
I have been diagnosed as Insulin Resistant, which means that although I have been producing plenty of insulin, my body rejects it, so I don't break down food the way I need to. Also, it makes my body think I am starving, so my body stores all the fat it can. In addition to all of that, the hormones that would normally tell you that you're full didn't work, so I was hungry ALL THE TIME. Hence, the bonus 75 pounds I've accumulated in the last few years.
So, my diet is actually my new lifestyle, but I don't know what else to call it.
I am on medication--I take four pills a day. To help keep my body sensitive to insulin, I am strict about how many carbs I consume and I must take in a minimum of 10 grams of protein at each meal and snack. To avoid my body thinking I'm still starving, I must eat every 4 hours. I am supposed to eat three small meals and two snacks each day. I'm allowed 45 carbs at breakfast, 50 at lunch and dinner, and 15 for snacks. I can't save carbs or anything like that.
It's not South Beach, but I have been using some of the South Beach books as resources because it is a low-carb system once you're past the initial stage of the plan. I did not do the initial stage of SB, just jumped right into a low-carb, higher protein diet immediately. I do eat three flavors of the SB snack bars because they are exactly what I need for a snack: 10 grams of protein and 15 grams of carbs. So, yes, SB is a great resource for me, but it's not my whole system.
I'm never supposed to get full and never supposed to get hungry either. It's pretty tricky. I'm trying to keep in mind the Word of Wisdom and not go crazy on meats or ignore grains altogether, so it's been difficult to balance all my numbers just right.
But, I'm getting the hang of it and the pounds are slowly melting away. It's been just over a month and I've lost about 15 pounds so far. I figure by the end of the year, I'll be back to my ideal body again.
So, if you have any favorite recipes you want to share with me, share away! Finding a variety that works has been a huge trial for me!
Take care
E
Post a Comment