I know readers will think this is weird or nerdy or whatever... but finding foods that work with my restrictions has been a total depressing pain in the rear.
So, when I found a snack and a yummy cereal that were loaded with protein without being loaded in carbs and they're YUMMY, it is a bit of a personal victory.
My new friend in cereal is Kashi "go lean crunch". It has a whopping 8 grams of protein in the cereal alone, so add 4 oz of milk, and I've met my required 10 grams in one bowl! You just don't understand what a triumph that is unless you're living this. AND, not only does it taste good, but the serving size is a whole cup as opposed to the 3/4 cup of Cinnamon Life I'd been eating for breakfast so often. I know, big deal, a whole cup of cereal and 1/2 cup of milk--but it IS a big deal to me when I have to measure out everything and most of the time portion sizes are so tiny.
Let me introduce you to my cereal friend:
Honey Almond Flax
Kashi® GOLEAN Crunch!™ Honey Almond Flax cereal is a delicious combination of crunchy honey-sweetened 7-grain clusters, sliced almonds, and whole flax seeds.
500mg Omega-3
9g protein
8g fiber
15g of whole grains

And then there's the snack trial... I have to get 10 grams of protein without going over 15 grams of carbs. I challenge any of you who take this lightly to give it a shot. Then try repeating it twice a day, every day. This diet is not for sissies!
It's been a huge trial and error. I'd heard almonds were loaded with protein and curb appetite. So, I bought a bag of whole almonds from the bakery isle. Don't do that. YUCK! I wanted to gag!
So, then I found this line of nut products called "True North". It's a division of Frito-Lay. The Almond Clusters are delicious and they're packed with 5 grahams of protein and only 10 grams of carbs. So, couple that with a stick of string cheese, and I've managed to get more than my required protein without going over 10 carbs!
Here's my friend "True North" Almond Clusters:
TrueNorth™ is a contemporary new brand of 100% natural, great tasting nut snacks. TrueNorth™ snacks are available today in three distinctly different snacking varieties–nut clusters, nut crunches and whole nuts.

So, there you have it, my little victories in taste and protein vs. carbs!
0 comments:
Post a Comment