
I love my girls... my young women I serve in church.
Last week we had our quarterly recognition night and three of the young women were recognized for earning their Young Womanhood Recognition award, which is often said to be the female equivalent to an Eagle Scout award (they are very different kinds of awards, but the status and work load are comparable).
Although I've only been their YW president for about half a year, and I wasn't really involved in helping them earn their recognition, my heart was filled with pride as I watched them give their talks and looked at their amazing collections of accomplishments. I just love these girls! Tribute was briefly paid to their three previous YW presidents: Chelsea, Mary and Emily. These young women are just amazing and I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to work with them.
Here is the short talk I gave at the beginning of the program:
Young Womanhood Recognition, May 27th, 2008
In the fall Conference of 1986, President Ezra Taft Benson said the following: "Yes, give me a young woman who loves home and family, who reads and ponders the scriptures daily, who has a burning testimony of the Book of Mormon. Give me a young woman who faithfully attends her church meetings, who is a seminary graduate, who has earned her Young Womanhood Recognition Award and wears it with pride! Give me a young woman who is virtuous and who has maintained her personal purity, who will not settle for less than a temple marriage, and I will give you a young woman who will perform miracles for the Lord now and throughout eternity."
I’d like to quote page 63 of the Personal Progress book:
As a recipient of the [Young Womanhood Recognition award], you show that you have established a pattern of progress in your life. You are prepared to make and keep sacred temple covenants. You are committed to keeping the commandments, serving others, and developing and sharing your gifts and talents. You will strive to strengthen the home and family.
This is a noble honor, a very worthy endeavor. I am so proud of these girls… they have done a minimum of 42 value experiences (many of which involve two-three weeks of study and personal reflection) and completed a minimum of 70 hours of value projects. These young women are our future and they make that future look promising. They have developed leadership skills. They have become teachers. They hold things of sacred nature in high regard. They know who they are, where they came from and where they are going. I know their Father in Heaven is so proud of them.
To you girls… this is just the beginning, really. You have established a pattern of personal progression. Don’t let it end with this medallion. Continue setting goals to strengthen your spiritual muscles and stretch yourselves and discover even more talents that remain hidden at this time, talents that will reveal themselves through your service and striving for excellence. Continue living the standards you’ve been taught… because now more than ever, you have a responsibility to be an example to everyone around you. It is an honor and a privilege to wear this medallion—it is indicative of your testimony that you are a daughter of God and you are a representative for our Savior Jesus Christ. I have complete confidence in each of you. I’m grateful to know you and I see great things coming from your lives—just like President Benson said; you young women “will perform miracles for the Lord now and throughout eternity”.
2 comments:
Yay! That is awesome that they earned their awards!
And I've just been catching up on your insulin resistance. Crazy! But I'm so glad they figured it out and that you still have a lot of good options for eating. I love how you figured out how to fit ice cream into it. That's totally something I would do!
We MISS you! What a blessing you are to those sweet girls.
Post a Comment