Sunday, April 6, 2008

Conference in General-4 of 4


Although I'm relieved to get up and move around after such a long weekend of sitting and listening, part of me is so sad for it to be over because I love learning and being uplifted by these talks from people who want to serve the Lord.

Elder Jeffry R. Holland spoke of the Bible and how the Book of Mormon builds it up... and how we believe in a God who is an active part of our journey on this earth. He said that we teach that God IS, not WAS.

Elder W. Craig Zwick of the 70 reminded us to never lower our standards in order to keep friends or fit in.

Elder Steuer of the 70 said we can obtain spiritual light by learning true doctrine, gaining a pure testimony, and living the gospel courageously.

Elder Craig C. Christensen taught us that the Book of Mormon is a book with a promise and a purpose that teaches and testifies.


Perhaps my most favorite talk of the entire weekend, and I'm sure of young mothers everywhere, was that of Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve. Oh, my goodness, I could not write fast enough. Talks like this one and a few others (like the one about how those serving in a presidency ought to pattern themselves after the First Presidency) make me wish I could have my Conference edition of the Ensign in my hands TODAY so I can read it again and pick up the pieces I missed the first time through!
Anyway, Elder Ballard spoke directly to young mothers (and then later to children, and I told my girls, "Shh, listen--Elder Ballard is talking to you!" and they listened!!) and told us how we need to focus on the things that pass quickly, that our children grow up too quickly and we need to pay attention to them and live in the moment before the moment is gone!
I'm on the older end of the young mother line, and I've seen enough of my mothering years FLY by that I can attest to what he is saying here and I only wish I knew this 9 years ago!!
He counseled mothers to enjoy our families more, to remember that joy of motherhood comes in moments and not to rush past those fleeting moments in such a hurry. He warned against over-scheduling ourselves and our families. I sure wish more people heeded this counsel because it's so difficult to walk a slower pace when everyone else is rushing by and expecting you to keep up. He said that families NEED unstructured time together to allow for memories to be made. He also said that we need to find time for ourselves, take time to do something fun or learn something new because water cannot be drawn from an empty well. I encourage younger mothers everywhere to heed his counsel now before it's too late. Sometimes I feel like it's too late because my girls aren't babies anymore, but I felt prompted today while listening to Elder Ballard that it's NOT too late, that I still have more work to do here in my home and I can still make a difference!

I felt this talk was the one I needed to guide me in the next chapter of my life I'm about to embark on. As my little Bridget will be going to full-day kindergarden in August, I have contemplated what I should do next. It's not likely another baby will be part of the story. So, what now? I had dinner with some of my more experienced friends who counseled me to stay home if I can afford it financially.
Then I have others who tell me I should go back to work and do "my share" to pay off the school loans I racked up. But, I want to be there for my girls completely. What happens if one of them is sick? How do I find a job that allows me to be here in the morning to get them on the bus and when they get home? And one that will let me leave if my girls are sick, when they have holidays and summer break? How will I do my family history and scrapbooking I've put off all these years because I was busy taking care of my babies and told myself I will have time for that later? How will I have FHE prepared and prepared well every Monday, and have dinner on the table, and clean the house, and serve as YW President and everything else expected of me if I'm working a job outside the home?
I counseled with my husband and we agreed I should stay home. He wants me to follow the counsel of the prophets and put my family first. So, that is that. I'm staying home. My husband is willing to let me be the mom I want to be, so as long as we can afford it financially, I'm staying here.
I know I will contend with those who think I'm lazy or whatever, but I know that I will make a difference in my girls' lives. I will be there when they need a room mom, I will be in the schools volunteering, I will be on the field trips, I will be there when they are sick, I will be there to help them with homework, I will be there. This talk helped assure me I'm making the right decision. And that decision is between me and my husband and the Lord and no one else.

So, I got sidetracked there, but this is my journal, right? I'd never had written that much by pen, so I'm grateful for this new venue to keep my thoughts.

Then we ended the day with our dear President Monson. I will admit, for a few moments I missed President Hinckley. But, President Monson made me laugh so hard, I forgot. He spoke from his heart, told some stories, made us laugh, thanked us for our support, asked for our prayers... and then he said, let's incorporate all these wonderful messages we've heard into our lives. And I intend to, President Monson. I intend to.

3 comments:

lindygirl said...

Yay Elaine, I think you have made a great decision! Don't let anyone talk you out of it. You are not being lazy, you are taking good care of your family.
Love you ,
Sarah

Elaine said...

Wow Sarah, I didn't think ANYONE would read these posts since they were SO long and I just go on and on. Thank you so much for making a comment about my decision to stay home. I finally feel confident enough about it to be able to tell anyone I know it is right. I'm very blessed with good friends and a wonderful husband who are being very supportive.
Love ya!
E

Judy said...

I loved your little summary of conference! Wasn't it awesome! I also LOVED Elder Ballard's talk. It was funny, because all through conference I was waiting for that one talk to really hit me, one that I knew was just for me...and then he spoke!

And I also think you're making a great decision to stay home.

One of my cards has been featured on Etsy!