Vicki is growing up way too fast. Seems like she is 9 going on 16.
Besides the fact that she keeps getting taller, but not any thicker, and it's getting increasingly more difficult to find pants long and thin enough for her... here are several evidences that she is growing up way too fast for me:
• She no longer orders "Happy Meals". She gets the Value Meals now, complete with larger fries (although she prefers a baked potato), larger drinks and more chicken nuggets. Although she sometimes still gets envious of Bridget's kids' meal toy, Vicki is a growing girl and needs more food than they provide in the little kid meals.
• She often can't hear me because she has her MP3 player earbuds in her ears.
• Dora is for babies and Barbie isn't very cool anymore.
• It's all about fashion.
• She'd rather hang out with her friends than her family. =(
• One day I was giving her a hard time for making a big deal out of something very silly and I said something to her about how she needed to act like a big girl, like the First Grader that she is... She looked at me like a total idiot and reminded me that she is in fact in the Third Grade! Where have I been the past two years? I think it's kinda like how I've gained 70 pounds but still picture myself as the "thinner" version of me until I see a photo of myself...
• When we go grocery shopping, she no longer asks for candy, but the Teen Bop magazines instead. I don't like this.
• On that same note... the ballet & princess posters and the watercolor paintings are being overshadowed by the Teen Bop poster pin-ups... let's see, we've got Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus, Emily Osment, the High School Muscical cast, Avril Lavigne, Jonas Brothers (YUCK), Jason Dolley... Well, at least there's still a lot of Disney Fairies all over the place--there is still hope!
• She uses "Teen Spirit" deodorant. And she takes showers instead of baths.
• She knows how to do things on the computer that I do not know how to do... like Video Chat with her Grandma in Florida and IM (I know, I know... gasp! Elaine doesn't instant message?! Nope, never got into it. But, who knows what the future holds... a few years ago I didn't understand the purpose of a blog, either!)
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Growing Like a Weed
Posted by Elaine at 10:57 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I loved your list--so descriptive. It made me think of that song from Toy Story 2 that Sarah McLaughlin sings... "When Somebody Loved Me." Have you seen that? The toy cowgirl is singing about how the girl who loved her started to grow up and the posters of cowboys got replaced by teenager stuff, etc.
Anyway, I love watching Ethan and Jake grow up and learn new things but there is also such a helplessness about watching it and knowing that you have no power to keep them young. Ah, motherhood.
Em,
I know exactly what you are talking about... that song by Sarah McLaughlin makes me cry EVERY time we watch Toy Story.
E
enough with the toy story talk, i am tearing up right now. your post made me laugh and cry at the same time. where does the time go? i feel so old saying that but the more years that go by the more true it becomes.
Post a Comment