Yes, it is very tricky to get in a minimum of 10 grams of protein without going over in my allowed carbohydrates. Especially for snacks--I'm only allowed 15 grams of carbs and still need 10 grams of protein. So, it can be very tricky because even if I find something low enough in carbs, if it doesn't have my protein, I can't have it...
So, where in the world can I fit in my ice cream? It's got my max of 15 grams of carbs for snacks, but only 2 grams of protein, so I'd need some protein to with it... but then I go over in carbs... so, what to do?
Have it for breakfast!
That's right... I decided if I'm going to get in my little indulgences here and there, it will have to be when I have a bigger budget of carbs to divide up. SO, I had two eggs scrambled with colby-jack cheese, a slice of wheat toast... and 1/2 a cup of my all-natural ice cream with 1/4 cup fresh blackberries mixed in! It was the best breakfast!
Ah, the little triumphs in life!
Friday, May 16, 2008
Guess what I had for breakfast this morning...
Posted by Elaine at 8:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Okay I am in need of some dietary changes since my blood tests came back. So I think you should share your daily food diary with us of what you are eating, so I can follow them. Love and miss ya!
Hey Erica,
What exactly did you find out from your blood tests? How's your cholesterol? How were your sugar levels?
My diet is specific to my build and I'm quite a bit taller than you, so my allowance will probably be a little higher than yours...
Plus, my cholesterol and sugars were great, my blood pressure is good--so I don't have to read the fat and sodium content on the labels--I am just focusing on carbs and protein.
But, I will tell you some tips I've learned in just a few days...
• You can still have many of the things you enjoy, just measure things to make sure you are eating an exact portion. For example, I can still eat Sun Chips with my turkey wrap, but I can only have 16 or 18 chips (I can't remember).
• Don't be fooled by things that LOOK healthy--I found that a lot of wraps out there are just as high or higher in carbs than some sandwiches. I have made myself a wheat turkey wrap the last couple days and the WHEAT wrap has 28 grams of carbs, which is more than half of what I'm allowed for lunch or dinner and limits what I can add as a side. Who would have guessed a wheat wrap would be so high in carbs?
• I can't have things like ice cream or rice cakes as my snack only because they don't provide enough protein. BUT, you can have it with a meal when you have more carbs in your budget, or add something that is loaded in protein but free of carbs, like a hard-boiled egg for example. Be careful--things like nuts are high in protein, but not as high as an egg and it still has carbs. So, if I want half a cup of ice cream, I can't use nuts to balance out my protein because I'll go over in carbs. But, an egg doesn't have carbs, or maybe a few cubes of cheese that is carb-free, so you can have that 15 grams of carbs in your ice cream and get the 10 grams of protein in the egg or cheese.
• I've been a little overwhelmed by how long it takes to measure and count all my food and keep track of all the grams of everything... but was relieved today when I realized I can just repeat today what worked yesterday. I had the same breakfast today as I did yesterday. And today, I had the same turkey wrap, but had an apple this time instead of Sun Chips. (apples are high in carbs and I can't eat them alone as a snack)
• If you're only worried about carbs and protein like I am, get your flavor from dressings and mayo and stuff... on my turkey wrap, I mixed 1 TBSP of ranch dressing with a teaspoon of quacomole and spread that on my tortilla before adding lettuce, colby jack cheese and turkey. It's REALLY yummy and only cost me like one carb (although it didn't add any protein... but I got plenty of that from the turkey and cheese).
Let me know your specific blood concerns and what your allowance is and I'll help you through this--we can do it together!
Love,
E
You are a girl after my own heart. I love Bryers vanilla. Its the best. It tastes sooo good with root beer too. I have been known to eat my dessert before my dinner too. I have actually ordered my dessert first at a restaurant. Weird looks from the waiter!
Hey Elaine!
My sister has a blog too, and when I saw you had one, I knew you'd want to talk to Anna.
You can get to it from mine under my "Friends & Family" on the left side.
She'll be here in a couple of weeks too! :)
Katie,
You totally rock!
YAY YOU FOUND ME!! I'm so happy that you are blogging!! I can't wait to see you when we get there, and I am so jealous that you are in YW without me, I still have to go to relief society with all the old ladies. I know you're the best president ever, you better watch out or they'll notice and make you a stake or general yw pres. hah! You're girls are the cutest ever!! Miss ya and see ya soon!! Lots of love!!
Post a Comment