Thursday, May 1, 2008

Spread the word, not the germs

I remember many, many years ago when antibacterial hand soap became a common household item instead of the basic bar of Ivory, my wise Grandmother told me that all this antibacterial stuff was dangerous. She is a retired nurse from the "old school" days of healthcare, and I learn a lot from her. When she explained it to me, it made perfect sense. But, how do you share that kind of information--no one will believe me because everyone uses it!

Well, now you're starting to hear more and more about these "supergerms" that are NOT responding to antibiotics!
I think it only took about a decade for my Grandmother's prophecy to come true.
Pretty scary stuff.

So, I'm researching composting on the internet for our small backyard garden, trying to find an inexpensive compost bin that will save me a bunch of work, and I came across a short and well-said explanation of why we should not use antibacterial soaps.

I'd like to dedicate this post to my wise Grandmother who saw this coming years and years before anyone would listen.

My source: www.treehugger.com

Are we breeding supergerms?
The antibacterial and antimicrobial ‘cleaners’ that many people think are necessary, especially during cold season, don’t clean hands better than soap and water, and also add to the risk of breeding “super germs,” bacteria that survive the chemical onslaught and have resistant offspring. The FDA has found that antibacterial soaps and hand cleansers do not work better than regular soap and water, and should be avoided.


Even better, for the more scientific-minded who like a good, proven explanation filled with references and data tables, here's an article from the official Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.



Get more info on Triclosan here.

The Ubiquitous Triclosan: A common antibacterial agent exposed

0 comments:

One of my cards has been featured on Etsy!