
I had my follow-up visit with the doctor today to talk about my test results.
The test that is going to cost me more than $2,000 came back normal (my brain scan).
The test that is nearly $700 came back normal as well, although my thyroid is slightly enlarged, so it is possible I could have thyroid problems later, but this ultrasound says everything is fine for now.
The 4.5-hour blood test showed that everything except my insulin was fantastic! A normal insulin number is about 17 and mine was 41. My insulin level is totally off the chart! So, I am insulin resistant, which means my tissues/organs are rejecting my insulin. My blood sugars are totally fine. I know that doesn't seem to make sense, but my sugars are fine. I am producing too much insulin because my cells are not accepting it... my body thinks I am starving and is hoarding all this fat.
So, what I have to do is train my body to realize I am, in fact, getting more than enough food so that it will stop storing up all that fat. I do that by making sure I do not ever go more than 4 hours without eating while I'm awake. If I go longer than 4 hours, or fast altogether, my body will just confirm I am not getting enough food and it will keep hoarding all that energy. (This is why I'm so tired all the time.) If I continue to eat every 4 hours (three meals and two snacks a day) my body will eventually get the idea that I'm not starving and start working normal. I have to accompany this regime with medication to help my cells accept my insulin and exercise to increase my metabolism.
The eating part is not quite as bad as I at first thought... I can still eat lots of different kinds of foods, just not as much of it and I have to start counting everything. I have an allowance of carbs and proteins I can have each day... I'm allowed 45 grams of carbohydrates at breakfast, 50 at lunch and dinner, 15 for snacks. And it sure goes fast!! So, I'm going to have to be creative! I cannot go over in my carbs per meal/snack. I cannot bank my carbs and use them later--if I don't use them all at a meal/snack, I lose them. I also must get 10 or more grams of protein at each meal and snack. And of course, drink lots and lots of water.
I got teary-eyed when the doctor was explaining that fruits are carbs... I LOVE fruit and have been eating tons and tons of fruit this spring! But, by the time the carbs are broken down and get to my bloodstream, my body can't tell the difference between sugars from a piece of fruit or my own freshly-ground wheat... or a candy bar! So, carbs are carbs. Of course I want to make healthy decisions for the sake of my heart and overall health, but my body won't know the difference between wheat or white, fruit sugar or chocolate sugar. It's all just about how many grams of carbs and that's it.
My good friend Dawn was kind enough to give me this awesome booklet that lists all the nutrition facts for food in many fast food restaurants. I can totally still eat at Chick-Fil-A and get my chicken sandwich on wheat with a side of the best coleslaw ever and still be in my allowance of carb grams!!! I will have to carry that booklet with me everywhere I go. And I've been reading labels of all my favorite foods in the house and using a calculator to see what I can eat for breakfast tomorrow. I still haven't quite figured out how I will stay within my 45-gram allowance and not be hungry in an hour... I'm always hungriest in the mornings.
Here, I'd gone out and bought this $5-a-jar organic peanut butter thinking I've got to avoid all this fat, when in reality, the carbs aren't very far off from regular peanut butter and since I have great cholesterol, I'm okay to eat the regular peanut butter as long as I'm within my carb allowance! Theoretically I can even have Dr. Pepper if I want to, but it would cost me an entire meal. LOL But, the nurse was nice--she told me that if I just HAD to have a bowl of ice cream, go ahead, but have it with my grilled chicken instead of whatever side dish I'd normally eat and just stay within my allowance. Sounds much better to me than what I'd originally thought! But, it's still going to be tedious.
So, I'm excited, really. I'm excited to lose weight! I'm excited to have more energy! I've got a new bright pink binder organized with my notes, food journal worksheets I customized for myself, nutrition fact sheets, etc. I can do this! It's gonna take some effort, planning ahead, and being creative on how to fit all the numbers together just right, but I think I can do this.
If you have a favorite low-carb snack or meal idea/recipe, be sure to leave it in my comments!
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Information Overload
Posted by Elaine at 4:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You go gurl! -MaTT
You are very strong! YOU CAN DO THIS!
Mom Vail
As stupid as it sounds, I have loved in the past when I had set regulations on how many of this and how many of that I could eat to lose weight. It makes it so you can eat icecream, within portions, and you just go without something else. It makes sence to me. Good luck. I know you can do it. I'm excited for you too. I can't think of any great low carb snacks off had, but I will be thinking and watching for ideas. :) PS I hate expensive tests. Sorry, I hope your insurance will help pay. :)
Post a Comment