Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Tests Results

After three phone calls and two days of phone tag, I finally got to talk to the nurse and find out the results of my rounds of tests. My follow-up appointment isn't until next week (5/14), but I figure if I'm starting to get the bills in the mail (the ultrasound alone was more than $650) I'd like to know the results of these bank-breaking tests.

My thyroid is fine. I guess that's good. This one made the most sense, runs in my family, and fit all the symptoms (almost all), but just isn't the right diagnosis.

My brain is fine. I know, that's debatable. But, as far as the MRI contrast test is concerned, my brain is fine. No pituitary glad problems at least.

The least expensive, but most time consuming and painful test was the ticket. I am Insulin Resistant.
Yes, the one diagnosis I was hoping was NOT the one I had.
This is pre-diabetes.
I'm so scared.

It involves life-style changes (diet and exercise). And medication.

I don't understand because it says online that obesity is an indicator, or that weight is a contributor, but for me it was a symptom, not a cause. I was thin before. It was when I began taking those awful birth control pills that I blew up, gaining about 10 pounds a month. Diet and exercise did NOTHING before, so I don't understand how it's going to help this time. And I'm not a big fan of meat, so I'm not sure how I'm going to reduce my carbs and increase my protein and not be miserable. I really don't know what else I'll be able to cut out... I already eat only wheat bread, I rarely eat potatoes anymore, I only fix pasta a few times a month... what else can I cut out?? And where in the world am I going to get my protein when I don't enjoy eating meats and I hate fish?

I'm worried about the stereotype of type 2 diabetes. I just don't think I fit that stereotype. My cholesterol is great. My blood pressure is great. I don't eat junk all the time. The only link I have is that stupid birth control pill and no one seems to believe that is what caused it. I read ONE little thing that said MAYBE progesterone could be a link to triggering Insulin Resistance. I sure wish I could fund further studies on this horrid pill Seasonale or Seasonique and reveal to the world that man-made progesterone can do this to a woman's body.

So, there you have it.
I'll know more in a week.
Until then... I am totally depressed about this.
But... maybe soon we'll see a brand new Elaine in a new body... at least I finally have a diagnosis after all these years.

Here's a good article I found that explains some things I've dealt with and what lies ahead: Insulin Resistance in Women

2 comments:

attack of The Mouse said...

Ughhh!! I'm sorry. I hate bank breaking tests that don't seem to give good answers. I am thinking and praying for you. Keep us posted. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Elaine - This is Debbie (your "stake to the East website administrator buddy") I am diabetic with insulin resistant type) have been for 4 years and I STILL don't have it all down right. I'll try to share with you my findings over time.
Deb N

One of my cards has been featured on Etsy!