I like to review the movies we see so I can remember what I've seen and what I liked in years to come.
We've seen several since I last had a chance to blog.
I'm going to give a brief opinion of each one in this one post...
VANTAGE POINT (we rented this one)
Aaron and I loved this. WOW, it is probably the most intense movie ever! It is a unique movie that shows the same 23 minutes of story (a US presidential assassination at a political event in Spain) from 8 different perspectives. Each time you see the story from another character's eyes, you learn a little more about what has truly happened. VERY exciting movie!
MUMMY 3 (Tomb of the Dragon Emperor)
This was a huge disappointment. We saw it on our anniversary (12 years baby!) date night. We both really enjoyed the first two Mummy movies, but this was just not any where near as good as the first two. And we missed the original actress who played opposite Brendan Fraser. Not that the substitute was a bad actress, but she and Brendan didn't have the same chemistry. Oh, well.
HANCOCK (saw this digital at The Rave)
Such a fun movie! I think Will Smith is great and he delivered in this one just like he always does. It was very funny and there was a nice, unexpected twist in the plot. Probably will be a DVD purchase for us.
WALLE 
Pixar never ceases to amaze me. This is an excellent family film and a definite DVD purchase this winter. The story is so unique and has multi-level meaning to it (the kids enjoy it on a surface level, but there is more for adults to get out of it as well). So cute. And Vicki said it had some good life lessons, too.
And the Short Film (PRESTO) right before was hilarious and ingenious! So stinkin' cute!
EMMA SMITH: MY STORY (saw at Youth Conference)
Loved it. I laughed. I cried. I never knew much about Emma Smith and her story is absolutely amazing. Anyone who is LDS or interested in the "Mormon" history would enjoy this movie. Well done.
BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT
I didn't understand this movie very well. I left the theater wondering "what just happened here?". I got the general idea, but didn't understand the motive of all the characters all the time. The plot got a little too complicated for my simple mind. Or too deep or something. I don't know. I just like to be entertained and I had to think too hard on this one. I really, really loved the first one from this director and group of actors (Batman Begins), so I had high expectations and just didn't get it this time. Of course, the legendary Heath Ledger was brilliant. I'm so sad he's gone. Unfortunately, we won't be purchasing this one. Unless maybe if it comes with a book to explain the plot and characters to me. ;-) Don't get me wrong--some great action and well-done cinematography, but it just went over my head.
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Movie Rewind
Posted by Elaine at 12:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment