Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Summer Rewind Part I (YW Events)

First, there was Girls' Camp. My first LDS YW Girls' Camp ever.
I had no interest whatsoever in staying the whole week. Not my thing. It's too stressful for me to leave my family that long.
So, after a long process and lots of stress and worry, we finally got the perfect Camp Director, Susan Manning, who is now an official Advisor in our program. She is fantastic--I just love her.

So, April Ribar and I drove down to camp on Friday evening and stayed the night (and Max came, too). It was hot and humid, but the fireside and testimony meeting were great. It was neat to see what the girls had accomplished all week. It was the first Girls' Camp for the new Indy West Stake, and it was apparent that many of the girls were hesitant to accept the changes at first, but their experience at camp brought them all together and they made new friends. It was a sticky and uncomfortable sleep, what little of it I got, but it was fun to spend the day with the girls and drive them home.


Then there was my first ever Youth Conference.
I wanted to be at everything. It was just two days, so we were able to make arrangements for the girls so Aaron and I could go to all the events. It was wonderful! It started with watching the movie Emma: My Story in this old-fashioned theater in Brownsburg. Then, bright and early, we went to the Temple for the day. The kids had all these classes they attended and took turns doing baptism sessions. It was a great day. The first class, however, one of the teachers hadn't arrived yet, so I had to step in and improvise--it was horrible, those poor kids. It was about journaling... I talked about blogging, too, but it only lasted about 10 minutes and then I ran out of things to say. Then, that evening, we had a dance and it was SO much fun. Aaron and I hung out with the Barlows all weekend and we had a blast. We went to Cheesecake Factory after Friday's movie and had a blast at the dance. Saturday morning was a testimony meeting that was just incredible. Then I drove Amber to her band car wash and Crystal home (after a quick bite at Taco Bell). It was a fun and spiritual Youth Conference--Aaron and I both really enjoyed it.




One of our Mutual activities this month was to plant a tree. We talked about how bearing our testimony is a kind of service, and how faith really is like a seed that can grow into something huge and beautiful if it is nourished. Then, we planted a tree on the church property where one had to be cut down. Bro. Peterson was kind enough to get us the tree and Bro. Taylor helped us with the planting. It was fun. I love my girls.

1 comments:

Erekson's said...

I'm so glad yuo got to go! I love girls camp and I too love Susan! So what's going on with you? Hope all is well

One of my cards has been featured on Etsy!